Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Ambassador

It is hard to believe, almost painfully hard, that I can lead someone to life. I can communicate with real eternal souls. I can speak words that have meanings. I can point to the object of faith. People, living souls, come and trust me as a teacher. There are two boys, Wada and Tshophang, who would trust every word I say. They have come to me almost willing to place their souls into my hands. This terrifies me, and I am quick to tell them no. My instinct is to cast their trust off of me. To throw it away as you would a hot coal. I've questioned how this could be: how I could be expected to lead eternal souls towards the object of faith, how something as broken as me--me who, apart from the blood of Christ, am the very definition of profanity--how these profane lips are entrusted with the task of leading one towards the object of faith, that is, towards salvation, truth, life, and--in a name--the person of Jesus Christ, the object of Christian faith. The weight of this reality is almost painfully hard to accept, yet it leaves my heart with a flutter of excitement. It is something that is inside me that I can't deny. Even if I tried to ignore it, which my flesh often has, I find myself compelled to share the object of my faith, the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Am I faithful to share it? What a silly question. Am I faithful in anything? Am I human or am I God? No, I have always failed to share it as I should, but I always find myself driven and pushed to share it, as if an external force would not allow me to keep my mouth shut. It is something that I must share, or else I will be driven to madness. And so I welcome those who would hear. I plead with them. I direct their trust toward the mouth of God, and not my own. I pray that they would catch a glimpse of the object of faith, and when they see Him, that they would cling to Him and continue there for all eternity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tobi:
Thanks for those words, more and more I am seeing that evangelism really is not so much about lost souls as the fact that God is not receiving the glory due His wonderful name when men in this world live without the knowledge of how truely lovely He is, let us witness not just for the sake of souls, but for Him to receive the glory due his name. GH

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed both the blog entry and your video. I will continue to pray God will give you fruit for you labors. It's really something to see the readiness with which the people receive the Seed of Truth.How's it going in the aftermath of the robbery? Bro Frank
nicked his ankle with the chainsaw this P.M. and is limping around nursing his wound. He'll be out of work for a couple days.WOW, it's starting to thunder, looks like we will get another shower soon. It was hot today, it got up into the low 80's. God Bless, Jim G.