Tuesday, July 19, 2011

African Roadtrip Part 2

 Sunrise in Chobe. 
Sam had the brilliant idea to stay another day in Kasane and go to Chobe national park.  It was amazing!  The park is pretty primitive, no maps, no paved roads, very few signposts.

But that just made for less people and more animals so we were happy.  Most of the roads were very sandy, we had fun almost getting stuck.  We saw many different animals.  Kudu, elephant, many types of antelope, Cape buffalo, zebra, mongoose, monkeys, many different songbirds, cranes, storks, and eagles,warthogs, crocodiles, hippos and of course hundreds of impala. : )  We just barely missed seeing a lion kill, though we looked and looked we couldn't find them.  They must have gotten tired of being a "tourist attraction" and "got it to go".
 Oh, yeah and giraffe.  I knew I was forgetting someone.   We saw lots of giraffe.  I love these tall classy gentlemen. I always feel like they should be wearing bow ties. : )
 We mostly drove next to the Chobe river, which is where most of the animals congregate, but at one point we went down this long, sandy, bumpy road which lead to this tree.  Kinda creepy, huh?   From the  Botswana side of the Chobe you could see across to the Zim side.  You could see elephants in the water on the far bank and hippos and Cape buffalo and right down the bank from these wild animals would be a whole herd of cows. Domestic cows! With all the lions, leopards and crocodiles.  Yeah, I'm not sure how that works but it is Africa.
 This is an elephant skull. 

At one point along the river we saw a jackal stalking an impala.  I do not have a picture, but I think Sam does so we will try to share picture sometime so you can see more of what we saw.

 This man was fishing with this little canoe type boat in the Chobe which was obviously full of crocodiles, hippos and who knows what else. Very brave or very hungry.

2 comments:

Suzie said...

Nice, Bek. Kudus have funny looking horns. Love the panoramas.

Anonymous said...

WOW, your blog entries are like opening up a National Geographic
magazine, only better. I also really appreciaite the panomora pics; really neat. Same old dreary thing around here, even my little bunny rabbit has abandoned me. I could see my breath this morning when I left for work. It was about 40. Keep up the good work. I want to get you all together for a
"debriefing" when you get back so I can here all the neat stories
you have. God Bless, Jim G.